Monday 11 July 2011

All the little Children....

Alycia and Keith

Woken up with a ‘Thump” and a crying one year old on the floor at 7 am, I have everyone fed and can continue my story for a bit longer.

My second pregnancy did not make it past the first trimester. Miscarriage is a difficult thing to deal with. I read as much as I could about why it had happened ‘to me’ (Miscarriage: Sharing from the Heart). I discovered (from an ultrasound technician that had had a few miscarriages herself) that almost 50% of pregnancies are miscarried. It is only in the age of Super Sensitive pregnancy tests like the Clearblue Easy Digital Pregnancy Test, that we actually know about pregnancies so early.

We kept trying and 4.5 years after our first son, Keith, was born, we welcomed our daughter Alycia. All 8 lbs 11 oz. of pure Diva.  Now, this is where some books come in handy again. Perhaps Bringing up Girls: Practical Advice and Encouragement for those Shaping the Next Generation of Women or  Girls will be Girls: Raising Confident and Courageous Daughters would have come in handy as a baby shower gift. I am definitely gifting these to anyone I know that has a baby girl!

I digress, with two children, we were still on our path to success. I continued my crazy life. College courses in the evenings and working full time in an office during the day. Somewhere in there we managed to clean the house and I worked my way up from Receptionist to a Human Resources Generalist.

My Rock Star, Genius Geek husband has a bit of rebel in him. Which allowed us to strive for more and has led us to take risks I would never, ever consider. In the overall scheme of things, this has been a good thing. Fantastic even. But in the year 2004, due to some less than Fantastic choices, we had to take our little family back near our hometown where the cost of living was less. I will go into more detail at a later date, this is supposed to be an intro! Needless to say, I think I perused Dr. Phils’ book Relationship Rescue: Exercises and Self-tests to Help you Reconnect with your Partner and I think Mikes’ mom gave me Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus to help me understand why we do some crazy things.

Every relationship has some rough patches (insert wobbly smiley face here). We rented an apartment, Genius Husband and his buddy from a past work life start up a company in our basement doing what they do best. With help from Incorporating your Business for Dummies or some such thing, they moved into a rented office space. I commuted to a well paying Customer Service job 45 minutes away and 4.5 years later we welcomed Jonny Awesome into the world at 9 lbs. 6 oz. Our Blue-eyed boy with the great one-liners.

Ah, snack time for the tots. I’ll be back on in two shakes of a lambs tail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like to read about what you think, so let me know :D